Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Getting setup for cross-training with cross-country skiing


With winter now in full swing and enough snow on the ground, it's tough to maintain running volume for triathlon training. Solution? Cross-country skiing!

I'm a big fan of cross-country skiing, and after a big adventure recently, I wanted to share some start-up tips with anyone thinking about getting into cross-country skiing out on local trails.  I'm not a competitive cross-country skiier, and almost all of my gear is bought with multiple, year-round uses in mind...think hiking, fishing, skiing, running, biking, mountain biking all using some of the same gear. So, you won't find much sport-specific gear here. These tips and gear recommendations are meant to get you skiing as efficiently as possible without breaking the bank.

Starting with clothes, you have to figure what kind of weather you'll be in most of the time. For me, that means about 10 - 25 degrees with some 10  - 20 mph winds. It might still be snowing when I go out. And of course, you need layers; you can't be out there skiing with a big jacket because you'll be nice and warm for the first ten minutes, burning-up-hot and sweating while skiing, and then instantly cold from being wet in the cold the second you stop.

Here are my recommendations from top to bottom for clothes. Please keep in mind that the links are to an online store to give you a picture of what I'm talking about....there are generally cheaper places to find the same thing if you look around on the internet. And remember, cotton kills in the backcountry.

Hat: any basic fleece beany will do great. I prefer fleece because it breathes well. You might consider the type of headband that lets the top of your head vent while keeping your ears warm (I did this for a year but never really like the feel of it, although it worked great).

Neck gaiter: not really needed, but you might want one to wear on the way to the trailhead.
Sunglasses: get a good pair of polarized, UV-stopping sunglasses. They should be all plastic. Get some that have a built-in nosepads; the ones with additional pieces that attach to the pads tend to bend and break.

Base layer: I like a technical t-shirt (generally the kind you get as a freebie in your race goody-bag) as a base layer. They tend to dry quickly and don't rub on the skin.

Second layer: This is usually a long-sleeve technical shirt, but sometimes I go with cotton (against my own rules, but this layer doesn't get much sweat on it).

Third layer: Very light fleece jacket that zips up. You don't want a pullover because you can't vent it as easily as a zip-up. A 3/4 zip fleece could probably work pretty well.

Outer jacket layer: This is the real protection from wind, cold, and snow/rain. As such, I usually just wear a standard outdoors backountry-style rain jacket like a Marmort Precip, and it works great. Make sure you have pit zips and some velcro around the wrists to crank-down on your gloves if you're in a section where you might fall (this keeps snow out of your gloves and wrist area). A hood is needed, too, and it should be adjustable so that it doesn't come down over your eyes when you put the hood over your head.

Gloves: light fleece will normally be enough unless you get into windy conditions, in which case you need something that can break the wind. I normally carry two extra pairs of gloves in my pack, in addition to the ones on my hands, for a total of three pairs of gloves. Hey, if your hands get cold, it will ruin your trip! So, the three pair of gloves I carry at a minimum: one light fleece, one light glove that has an exterior that can break the wind, and then one set of very warm backcountry gloves in case something goes wrong (broken leg, get lost, etc) and I need some really good gloves for an extended period of time.

Underwear: I just wear standard, every-day cotton boxers. Yes, that's against my personal rules again, but it is a minor point.

First layer on the legs: I like wearing a pair of lightweight running pants next to my legs. If I start sweating alot, this layer soaks up sweat. These are not cotton!

Second layer on the legs: I have a pair of heavier outdoor pants that are nice and durable and provide protection against abrasions,of various sorts or snow or wind if I'm skiing without snowpants. Cargo pockets are a must.

Outer layer snowpants: I normally but not always wear a pair of snow pants to protect against wind, cold, and snow when I fall. I've had a pair of North Face Freedom pants for ten years. These are full-zip without a cargo pocket, and they don't make them like this anymore (now they replace the full-zip pants with a cargo pocket). I don't recommend the insulated versions because they will be too hot, even if you open up all the vents....the insulated versions are for downhill skiing when you have to sit on a lift.  I wish my pants had a cargo pocket, but I'll take the full-zip over the cargo pocket. I found a cheap pair of suspenders to use with these, too, to keep the pants up where they belong....I think bibs are overkill and probably too hot.  When these pants finally give up the ghost...as in they have too many rips and don't hold out the water (the North Face Hyvent is VERY good waterproof material, by the way).....I'll probably get the new style of these North Face Freedom pants.

Socks: Smart Wool!! That is all that needs to be said about the type of socks. Like gloves, I carry always carry multiple pairs of socks with me, and the reasoning is the same as the gloves. If your feet get cold, it will ruin your trip! I like a medium pair of smart wool on my feet, a similar pair in the backpack, and then a heavy pair added to the backpack for the "just in case" events that will make me slow down (again, a broken leg, getting lost, etc).

Next post will review the kind of equipment you need to get out on the trails for cross-country skiing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backcountry Views

Art Prints

Check out my e-book "Weight Training Routine For Olympic and Sprint Triathlons"

Get it in any of the major e-book formats at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/26079