Wednesday, March 2, 2011

New Shoes! Nike Structure +14 review

My Montrail Streaks have come to the end of their daily use life, and it was time to get a new pair of shoes. I figured I'd go with some basic road shoes this time around. I've been wearing trail shoes for the past four years or so because I ran on mostly dirt and no-kidding trails. But with my training this year, I've been running mostly on roads.  And my A-races are all on roads, although there are two races (Janet's in West Yellowstone and the Utah Xterra) that are on dirt roads/trails....but they are not A-races.

I looked for reviews for moderate pronators, and I found the Nike Structure Triax +14. I also looked Nike Free Runs but decided against them as a daily trainer because they didn't seem to have enough overall support.

The Structure Triax +14 had good reviews, and I'm happy with them after a few weeks and about 80 miles. I started with one three-miler to see how my body would react, and with no issues after that first short run with them, I turned on to daily six milers and have had no issues. In fact, my plaguing calf muscle issues are a thing of the past; I really don't even think about that any more, and that is what I was most worried about, I think.

A few other thoughts about these:
- I think I'll be able to go barefoot/sockless in them with no problems. I haven't tried yet because it's still cold/chilly out.
- I think the Nike sole will wear out much sooner than a good Montrail sole made for abuse. That makes these more expensive than just the initial price tag because I have to replace them sooner.
- They look fast.....so nice and white and bright. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Backcountry Views

Art Prints

Check out my e-book "Weight Training Routine For Olympic and Sprint Triathlons"

Get it in any of the major e-book formats at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/26079